Home Page
Alternate Content
Get Your Insurance Quote Business Automobile Homeowners Life Surety Bond Aviation & Marine

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of our frequently asked questions. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

  1. Why an Independent Insurance Agent?
  2. What payment options do you have?
  3. How do I file a claim?
  4. How do I order a Certificate of Insurance?
  5. What should I do after an automobile accident?
  6. Does Homeowners insurance cover items my child takes to college?
  7. Is my home based business covered by Homeowner Insurance?
Why an Independent Insurance Agent?
  • We are licensed specialist, with strong customer and community ties.
  • We give you excellent service and competitive prices because we can access the insurance coverage from more than one company. For a list of our companies click here
  • Unlike other agents, we are not beholden to any one company; thus you don't need to change agencies as your insurance and service needs change.
  • We assist you when you have a claim.
  • We are your resource for insurance, working with you as you determine your needs.
  • We offer you a choice of insurance plans and programs
  • We are a value hunter who looks after your pocketbook in finding the best combination of price, coverage and service.
  • We can periodically review your coverage to keep up with your changing insurance needs.
  • We treat you like a person, not just another number.

Back to Top

What payment options do you have?
If you choose to receive your bill from the insurance company there will be instructions included on how to make your payment and where to send the payment for processing.  You also have the option of paying your bill by phone (see bill for phone number), paying online by clicking here, or electronic fund transfer (EFT).  Give our office a call for information on EFT or go to our important link page and select your Insurance Company.

Back to Top

How do I file a claim?
The best way to file a claim is to call our office during normal business hours or complete a claim form under the claim section of the website or by clicking here.  If it's the weekend or after hours and an emergency you can report the claim directly to the insurance company, claim phone numbers are available by going to our important link page.

Back to Top

How do I order a Certificate of Insurance?
You can call our office, email, fax or complete a request for a certificate right on our website under the business section.  To request a certificate now click here

Back to Top

What should I do after an automobile accident?

Stop! Do Not Leave The Scene

  • Call the police immediately to report any accident, no matter how small, which results in personal injury or vehicle damage.
  • Notify the police as to any medical assistance that may be needed or any vehicle that is not drivable.
  • Warn other motorists by turning on your vehicle's flashers and setting up flares or other reflective devices starting 50 feet behind your vehicle. Signal for assistance by tying a handkerchief or anything white to the vehicle's antenna.
  • Do not accept responsibility or otherwise discuss the accident with anyone except police authorities and your independent insurance agent. Do not accept any monetary settlement at the accident scene.
  • Remain calm and courteous.

Exchange Information With The Other Driver

  • Write down driver's license number, license plate number, and state. Get the insurance company name and policy number plus make, model, year and description of vehicle. Lastly, record the name, address and telephone numbers of the driver.
  • Write down the name and address of all passengers, injured persons or anyone with property damage.
  • Get the name and contact information for at least two witnesses if possible. This is very important when the fault of an accident is questionable.

Diagram The Accident Before Leaving The Scene

  • Note time of day, weather and condition of roadway (wet, icy, dry).
  • Show position of all vehicles before and after the accident--plus location of signs, streets and medians.
  • Note any apparent damage to not only your vehicle but all vehicles involved in the accident.

Write down any details you feel are important

Weather and Road Conditions:
Emergency Phone Numbers:
Your Doctor:
Your Independent Agent:

A Final Note

After you have taken care of everything at the scene of the accident, immediately notify Sykes-Mallia Associates or contact your Insurance Company directly. Be sure to save copies of all documents relating to the incident.  

Back to Top

Does Homeowners insurance cover items my child takes to college?
If your college student lives in a dorm or other university affiliated housing, his or her personal possessions will likely be covered by your Homeowners insurance.  If your college student lives off-campus  the possessions probably will not be covered.  They will need to purchase renters insurance.

Back to Top

Is my home based business covered by Homeowner Insurance?
No.  Homeowners insurance does not cover activities related to a home based business.  However, you may be able to purchase an endorsement or seperate policy to cover use of your home for business purposes.

Back to Top

Home Page About Us Contact Us